The Cottage and Vine Banquette

Not to worry, this isn't another post about "the plate wall".  No, this is about something else.  It's the thing under the plate wall.  I thought it was high time that I share this with you because so many people have commented on it and asked questions about it.

 

That black thing back there is not a buffet, it's a banquette.  




We had it built a few years back, before making the mortgage payment each month wasn't the main focus.  Boy what a difference a couple of years make huh?  OK, enough of that.


 

I kept seeing fabulous banquettes in magazines and shared my collection of tear sheets with the mastermind who did the design work.  Doug, was so excited and immediately went to work with drawings.  His inspiration came from storage on ships.  You see ships are much like small homes; use your space wisely because there isn't much of it.


The seat backs pull down from the top and on the inside there are shelves.  I store everything from cookbooks...


to school supplies....


and all things in between.


The bottom drawers open the full depth of the bench providing ample storage as well.  Here you see my son's supply of origami and potholder making supplies.  Other drawers contain hardly used appliances and the boys' schoolwork that I can't part with, etc.

Part of the the Cottage and Vine philosophy is making the most of a small space.  Space for one could mean a one bedroom apartment or for another could be a rambling ranch, but here at Cottage and Vine, we are just like everyone else, looking for places to put stuff, and this has been one of the best additions to our home thus far.

What do you do with your space?  Do you have any tricks up your sleeve?


No comments:

Post a Comment