Several of you have asked about the sofa in our living room and I meant to prepare an informative post months ago. Here is what I can tell you and by the way, no one is paying me in any way (but if IKEA would like to send me a gift card, well that would be OK).
To begin, the Ektorp is $499 with the white slip cover. Slip covers come in many colors and to my knowledge the only one that is machine washable is the white one. The others are dry clean only.
Was it hard to assemble?
This is the box that it came in and it was HEAVY. Thankfully we had a large van to carry it home in otherwise, I'm not sure we could have managed. The assembly was easy and took less than an hour with the tools that were provided. One of my blogging friends was happy to learn that you had to assemble it yourself because she couldn't find a sofa that would fit through her bedroom door.
How do you clean it?
For spot cleaning, I use household peroxide. There are many products on the market that are basically the same thing, but with a pretty label. Mom has always used this to spot clean linens, etc. and it works. For major cleaning I followed the cleaning instructions provided:
Removable cover
Machine wash ,hot 140°F (60°C).
To be washed separately.
Do not bleach.
Do not tumble dry.
Iron, high temperature.
Dryclean, normal cycle.
I added oxi-clean to the water because I was afraid that bleach would make it yellow. I will say that putting the pillow covers back on was easy, but putting the slip cover on was a struggle because it did shrink a little. I have read before that it is best to remove a slip cover from the dryer while it is still damp so that it will stretch a when you put it back on. I did this and it was still a struggle. Do-able, but not easy.
Is it comfortable?
My family and I think it is comfortable. It is firmer than a normal sofa because there are no springs so I recommend sitting on it in the store first.
Has it held up well?
Yes. We have had it for a year and use it daily. So far so good.
Would I buy it again if I had it to do over?
Yes, at the time, it was exactly what we needed - a white sofa that was inexpensive. I would definitely buy it again.
If you have any more questions, send them my way and I will try my best to answer them. I hope this helps.
No comments:
Post a Comment