When I was in high school, my parents thought it was important for me to hold a full time summer job. They also thought that working in a hosiery mill would ensure that I would go to college. I'm sure they thought I would hate it and would want to do something far more prestigious with my life. I'll bet they were a little surprised to discover I actually liked working there. The people were nice and the work wasn't so bad. The bonus was the generous pay check I received each week which Mom & Dad made me save and not spend. It wasn't long after college when the hosiery mill closed its doors. Like many other buildings it sat vacant and the town lost much of the vibrancy that it once had. As time went on, antique malls replaced department stores, art galleries and wine bars replaced empty spaces, and a certain restaurant replaced the old mill office where I use to pick up my paycheck.
The restaurant is called
The Table Farmhouse Bakery, but we just call it The Table. Whenever I visit Mom & Darrell, we often go to The Table for lunch. I love the food as much as the decor!
I highly recommend the black bean cakes! And the bread. And the pies. And the gazpacho. And...
Asheboro, NC has come a long way in recent years and I love seeing the changes! What was once a sleepy little town has flourished into a lively and inspiring destination spot. Beautiful flower baskets line the streets, vintage/antique shops abound and there is always a treasure to be discovered. If you live near Asheboro, I recommend visiting the downtown area now. And if you do, I'd love to hear about your trip.
No comments:
Post a Comment