How I Save My Fiddle Leaf Fig Tree (Every Year)


It's no secret that fiddle leaf figs are all the rage in the decorating world.  Whenever Home Depot or Ikea gets a new shipment the social media lines fire up sharing the news.  We've had ours for at least ten years and I think I've figured out the secret to keeping it alive.

When we first got our tree, it was quite large.  Because it is actually two trees in one pot it provides lots of prolific green leaves which I think is what we all love about them.  Take a look at these images to see how fiddle leaf figs add that nice organic element to a room.  And really, every room could use a touch of green, no?









Here is my fiddle leaf fig.


Would you believe me if I told you that about 6-8 weeks ago this tree was down to one leaf?  It's true!  I was about to kick it to the curb, but decided to move it outside onto the deck instead. Each year as soon as the temperatures are warm enough, I move our houseplants outside.  Last year, for whatever reason, I did not move the fiddle leaf outside and it had a near death experience.  On the deck it receives indirect sunlight all day.  I generously water it with the garden hose 2-3 times a week and that is all.  See how happy it is now?  If your fiddle leaf is struggling, it might be happier outside in the shade this summer.  Just a thought.

***I've accidentally left mine in the direct sun before and the leaves burned.  Be careful!


No comments:

Post a Comment