Make a Statement

I love collections. 
Don't really have one, but I like them.  To see a grouping of similar items just looks good.  That's why when I go to a store, and see 25 boxes stacked together in like colors and I buy one, then come home and put it down on a table, the effect is lost.  Things look better when they are with items that are similar.


 Collections don't necessarily have to be intentional.  Maybe you just happen to have a lot of glass vases or cake stands.  Maybe they aren't all pretty by themselves, but I'll bet if you put them together, you might like what happens. 
Like this example here on top of the cabinet.


Image:  Martha Stewart

Or here.



Image:  Tricia Foley

What about baskets?
We all have lots of those around the house.  Baskets grouped together make a nice statement and provide useful storage.


Image: My Home Ideas

I love white dishes.  Let me rephrase that.  I love white dishes in mass.  This display is gorgeous.



Image: Country Living

A bazillion framed photos look so much better this way.



Image: My Home Ideas

Something I have always loved because of the guaranteed pop of color is globes.  When grouped together they add so much punch to a room, especially a playroom.


Image: My Home Ideas

Do you have a collection of plates or tiles?  I like that they aren't all the same, but that they share similar characteristics and work beautifully together in the arrangement.



Image: Martha Stewart

One of my favorite things is galvanized metal.  We have an old galvanized lunchbox that we use as a first aid kit and a couple of old pails and containers.  I love the way these are used to contain boxwood and then peaking out from under the table is more of the same.  Lovely.



I love the way Phoebe Howard uses groupings of prints, especially botanical prints to make a statement.



Come to think of it, maybe I do have a collection or two.  I'll bet you do too if you look around.  

What do you collect, better yet, how do you display it?  Does it make a statement?


No comments:

Post a Comment