Double Welt Cording

Thank you for the nice comments about the chair.  I am going to break down some of the steps to hopefully answer some of your questions.  Many of you commented on the cording so I thought that I would share how it was made.

Before I do, I should probably remind you that I have never done anything like this before.  Up to this point, my upholstery projects were limited to dining chairs and benches.  Because of this, I started with a chair that 1) was found on the side of the road and 2) I used drop cloth for the upholstery.  My thoughts were that if I decided to throw in the towel and kick this thing to the curb, there would be money wasted.

To prepare the drop cloth, I washed it twice soaking it an hour each time.  Drop cloth right out of the package can be very stiff so unless you are using it for a project that requires a stiff fabric, I recommend washing it first.

To make the cording, I first measured how much I would need using the cording itself going around all of areas where cording is needed.  Then I doubled that amount (because it is double cording).  The beauty of drop cloth is that you can cut a tiny cut with scissors, then rip the rest which is much faster and precise than cutting with scissors.

I used this cording and found it at Joanns.


It is recommended that you use a special sewing machine foot to make the cording.  I did not have one and decided to try it without and it worked just fine.  This was also my first time making the cording and it isn't perfect, but will do.

First lay the strip of drop cloth out and place one piece of cording on the strip.  Fold the cording over about half way as shown in the image above.



Next lay the other piece of cording as close as you can next to the wrapped cording.
Then fold the fabric over to cover both rows of cording and stitch down the middle.  You will have to stop and reposition the cording and fabric every 6-8" or so.  Trim away extra fabric after you finish this step.
When you are finished it will look like this on the top. 
Before gluing the cording on, I first pinned it into place on the chair.  To secure the welting to the chair I used a glue gun.
Hopefully this makes sense.  If not, feel free to email me.

No comments:

Post a Comment