My Small Space Garden

This isn't necessarily a pretty garden, but hopefully it will be effective.  Over the years, we have tried planting a garden in various areas of the yard.  When it was in the middle of the back yard, the dog stomped through it and the squirrels would grab green tomatoes and climb up the dogwood tree.  I can't tell you how many half eaten green tomatoes I found in the crotch of the dogwood tree last year.  *%@#!!  Anyway, this is yet another attempt at growing tomatoes this year.  We will see....

This potting bench has seen better days, but it has been SOO convenient.  My husband made it years ago and like me, it is a little older/saggier than it used to be, but it still works.


Random bits:

1. Tools -- Martha Stewart avert your ears/eyes.  My tools are rusty.  They are tools not medical equipment.  This is OK.  I keep them handy in my old pottery crock rust and all - easy to grab when I need them.

2. Terra cotta -- When a terra cotta pot breaks, I keep the pieces.  They are perfect for covering the drainage hole when planting new pots.

3. Pea gravel -- When the paper-whites are finished, I shake out the old gravel and save it.  You never know when you will need a little gravel and it sure beats dragging another heavy bag home from the garden store.

4.  The bird house was made by my son when he was a tiny little thing.  He painted it in colors he liked and it makes me happy.


Here we have tomatoes, red bell pepper, and cucumbers.  My plan is to train the cucumbers to grow up the fence.  Again, we will see.  Squirrels, don't make me come out there!


And last, but not least is the stacked herb garden.  I have been seeing a lot of these on pinterest and even a how-to from Martha, but I just stacked mine and tucked dirt in around it.  This year, I am trying artichokes for the first time and Thai basil for my 15 year old who loves to cook anything Thai.  Also, since this picture was taken, I have added chives to the top pot.

The stacked herb garden has been planted for  a couple of weeks now and so far so good.  I'll keep you posted.

 The other day, I fell in love with this water color on Etsy.  I think every gardener needs one....

 and these markers on pinterest could be a fun DIY project for the garden.

If you would like to see more pictures of gardens and potting benches, go here.  Let me know if you need an invitation.

No comments:

Post a Comment