One of my favorite ways to round out a traditional room is through modern art. Because original art doesn't always fit into the Cottage & Vine budget, I attempted to paint an abstract myself. Artists, please avert your eyes. This in no way compares to your talented hand and eye, but it does make me happy to see a splash of pretty color where I needed it most.
To get started, I picked up a 20 x 24" canvas from Micheal's for around $10 with a coupon. We have a stockpile of acrylic craft paints in random colors. My goal was to bring colors in from the floral bed pillow.
This is not a very scientific or even artistic approach, but I began randomly painting colors on the canvas, layering, and blending as I went.
Here is the final result. It reminds Mom and me of a bed of peonies. You might have to really squint or stand on your head ;) to see it too.
The chest of drawers was given to me when I was a little girl. The four post bed is one of two beds that Dad made. Both are very traditional, but with the right accessories and art it all balances out nicely.
No comments:
Post a Comment